Airways Inflammation Models
The research group has the capacity to conduct studies at all levels from cell cultures to clinical trials.
Model systems include:
- Cell lines: A variety of human bronchial and alveolar epithelial cell lines are available including: BEAS-2B, 16-HBE, HBE-1 and A549.
- Primary cultures (from normal human lungs):
- Epithelium: can be grown in submersion culture or at air-liquid interface
- Smooth muscle cells (SMCs)
Have initiated co-culture models for epithelial-fibroblast or epithelial-SMC interactions.
Group members also have experience with a variety of other cell types, including macrophages, dendritic cells, neutrophils, eosinophils and mast cells.
- Mouse models of: Allergen challenge (Both Ovalbumin & House Dust Mite models)
- SR antigen model of hypersensitivity pneumonitis (Farmer's lung). Have expertise in fibrosis in this model.
- Acute Lung Injury
- Also have a rat model of: Ovalbumin challenge
There are full facilities for nasal and pulmonary provocation studies, bronchoscopy (lavage/brushing/biopsy), sputum induction, pulmonary function (spirometry & plethysmography), exhaled nitric oxide measurements and exercise testing.
- Allergen challenge - lung/nose
- Experimental rhinovirus infections (soon)
- Studies in asthmatics and patients with COPD
- Interventional bronchoscopy
Respiratory Clinical Trials Centre
As Calgary's largest respiratory research centre, the Respiratory Clinical Trials Centre at UCalgary's Cumming School of Medicine advances scientific and clinical knowledge in respiratory medicine through excellence in clinical research. We provide detailed clinical assessments and cutting-edge therapies. Learn more about our work and opportunities to participate in research.