Michael (Mike) Parkins
MD, MSc, FRCPC
Preferred method of communication
Research and teaching
My research interests are diverse – and follow the types of clinical problems I see while treating patients in Calgary. Large categories include the following;
- Cystic Fibrosis and bronchiectasis. Antimicrobial resistance in P. aeruginosa and other multi-drug resistant Gram negatives, exacerbation treatment outcomes, pathogen transmission from airway infections, understanding the microbiome and its relation to clinical outcomes in CF.
- Clinical trials of new therapies and treatment algorithms
- The epidemiology of infectious diseases
- Improving clinical outcomes of infectious disease syndromes (ie S. aureus bacteremia, liver abscesses, etc)
- Wastewater monitoring of SARS-CoV-2, antimicrobial resistance, and chemicals in the environment.
Other Academic Appointments:
Section Chief, Infectious Disease, Calgary Zone, Alberta Health Services
Clinic Director, Calgary Adult Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
Medical Director, Calgary Zone Home Parenteral Therapy Program
Vice Chair, Cystic Fibrosis Canada’s Research Advisory Committee
Peak Scholar Award, University of Calgary, 2021